Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Late twenties gas crisis

Since I was a kid, I have always been a bit fascinated by Harley Davidsons and other motorcycles. I didn't really start having a real envy for one until about 2 years ago when I started visiting Eastside Harley and Bellevue Kawasaki on a weekly basis. They are customers of mine through Cintas. Each week I can't help but look at the different bikes they are working on and hoping one day to have one of my own. The weather in Washington isn't always conducive to riding, but right now it couldn't be better. We have the most beautiful summers around. With the rising gas prices, I also start to think how much money I could save by riding a motorcycle to work - 40-80 mpg. When my truck has a working Driveshaft it gets only about 13 miles per gallon. When Laura turned 29 the first time, she convinced me that she needed a nice fast car - by the way if you are interested visit Craigslist for a wonderful deal. So in the past year or so, I have been trying to hint in this direction to Laura. She strait up told me - Baby or Motorcycle - my choice. I made my choice and Carver is just awesome. However, my desire for the bike has not ceased. I often listen to the radio program Dr Laura when I am working and a few weeks ago I heard someone call in with a similar situation. She suggested a trike, because they are much safer. The trike is a bit of a novelty and I think pretty stinkin awesome. So I floated the idea to my Laura and she said she doesn't have a problem with a Trike. Trikes are pretty sweet and very customizable. Especially the homemade VW trikes. I am not enough of a gear head to actually make my own, but I have seen some deals occasionally on Craigslist. The hunt is on. If only the money was on as well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Boy - I sound much nicer when "baby or bike" includes the parts about because I love you and don't want you to die in a horrible bike vs. semi type accident... but whatever, being 31 will do that to you.

Unknown said...

Sorry to burst your bubble but you have to have a special "trike" license because they are harder to drive than a motorcycle :\

I'd go with a 2 wheeled bike. Better mileage, easier to turn and less old-guy-ness associated with them;)

Charley Lowery said...

What?!?! Special trike license? I have never heard the sort. A two wheel bike would certainly be better on gas and easier to turn, but also easier to turn over. I am appeasing the wife with the trike as well.

Unknown said...

motorcycles want to stay upright while you move due to the wheels being gyros. You should sign up for the motorcycle safety course.