Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Consequences of Truth


In the past week I have come upon a few situations where I have been really tempted to lie. Earlier this week someone made the statement question: "You don't have any weapons in your house right?" and today on my life insurance medical evaluation I was asked "When was the last time you had tobacco products?"
To address the first question, I do have a broken 22 caliber rifle packed away in my garage. The rifle is no where near the bullets which are hidden in a complete different room. I don't see this weapon as a threat anymore than one of the knives in my kitchen. And now to the second question, I do enjoy a cigar or clove every once in a while. Due to me answering these questions honestly, a child will probably not attend a Kid's conference this weekend and I will have to pay a higher rate for my term life insurance. Sometimes the truth just seems a bit inconvenient.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

I went to get my jeep registration last week and the title says $2700 but I paid $2900.

So when it came time to pay the taxes the guy said so you paid $2700? and I said "yep!" But then I got guilty and started thinking about dishonest gain and had to speak up. "Im really sorry, I know that says 2700 but I actually paid 2900.

The guy said "whatever, I dont care, will you be paying with cash or credit?"


I was really relieved. I got to go back and do the right thing and it didnt cost me any more either.


There is a kinda stupid but kinda brilliant quote that was said to me a few years back - "the right thing to do is always the right thing to do, so in any situation you just have to ask yourself, what is the right thing to do here?