Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Valentine's day Tale

Long before I met my valentine, I had another special girl in my life. It turns out she was more special to me than I was to he. I didn't have many girlfriends and the ones that I had never seem to last very long. This one I thought was quite special. I had grandiose ideas of romance and I was hoping to get my first kiss. My parents were going out that night and I had the house almost to myself. I was going to pick her up at seven and bring her back to my parents house for dinner and a movie. I started dinner around 4 - Lemon Chicken, scalloped potatoes and broccoli and something sweet for dessert. I bought a dozen roses and a chic flic - My Best Friends Wedding. I was busy making dinner and the phone rang. It was her, but there was a bit of a twinge and maybe a tear in her voice. She asked if she could just drive herself over. That didn't seem to gentlemanly to me, but I wasn't going to argue. So I knew something was up, I just didn't know what. Seven o'clock rolled around and the stage was set. Dinner was on the table, candles burning, flowers smelling beautiful and me waiting anxiously. Around 7:15 the doorbell rang and I saw her car. I went to the door only to see her full of tears. She came and sat on the couch with me and just said "I just can't do this". I assumed it meant the relationship. I didn't understand why I just hurt. So I joined in the crying and just sat their on the couch with my heart crushed. I blew out the candles and neither of us had an appetite. The food sat on the table just getting cold. We eventually turned on the movie and later decided to be just "friends" and if by the time we would turn 30 and neither of us were married we would find each other and tie the knot. Stupid chic flicks. To this day, I still don't know why she dumped me.

2 comments:

bchadwick said...

And the winner is...(drumroll/ cymbal crash) Nikki [formerly] Ammons!!!

Unknown said...

Didn't you hang a dead rodent of some type on this poor girl's porch before she dumped you?

Either way, her loss is my gain. But, don't hang anything dead on our porch.